Tuesday, June 8, 2010

PBS-People Like Us

Visiting the PBS-People Like Us website really made me realize how the choices we make in our every day lives are judged by others about what social class they determine we belong to. I don't like the fact that I am judged and labeled by the choices I make.
I found the stories and games interesting. The stories showed how social class affected the relationships between the families. I couldn't imagine not speaking to my parents or my brother again because of choices we have made in our lives. The games were also interesting. In the Chintz and Shag game I was placed into different social classes based on the choices I made for decorating a room. Some of the choices I was given I would have never chosen so I was forced to pick something to complete the game and to be told what social class I belong to based on my choices bothers me. I also entered my zip code in You Are Where You Live but I don't agree with what they say my community mainly consisits of. I would like to know where they get this information from. It described the kind of people that supposedly live in my community, what thier incomes are, and even where they like to shop.

1 comment:

  1. I also entered my zip code in the You Are Where You Live section. The information surprised me. I found that it gave a pretty accurate description of the people who live in my neighborhood. I also wonder how this information is collected.

    ReplyDelete